Recently On Two Yellow Birds Decor

Beautified Planter Pot

Happy Monday!!!

I sure hope everyone had a fantastic Easter weekend!! We sure had a blast at my house. It was full of parties, family and fun!!! I love spending time with my family and especially seeing my little ones light up when they see what the Easter Bunny brought them. So cute!!

*****************

Today I have a fun project for you. My husband brought home a mango seed that someone from his work gave him. We have been married almost 5 years and have never planted anything because we have been renting and never had a place to do so. Well, my husband LOVES mangos. He really wanted to plant this seed and eventually get a mango tree from it. I am the one who is going to have to take care of it so lets hope I don't destroy it since I have never done this before!! HAHA! 

We bought a clay plant pot to start growing this mango seed in. Of course my husband looked at me when we bout it and said, "You know you are going to have to make it pretty before we plant it." I said, "Heck yes I do!!!" I love that he just knows me so well now! 

With this pot I wanted it to be spring colors. Something bright and fun to have in the house. I started by choosing yellow paint for the pot and white for the little clay plate.
I used Krylon Bright Idea yellow and Krylon White.

I put a few coats of paint on both of these. I lost count after awhile!! 
It looks like I painted the whole inside of the pot. I really didn't. I just wanted to get that top edge since we would be seeing it!

I couldn't just leave the pot like this. I wanted to put a cute decorative design on it. I went to my cricut and found a fleur de lis symbol that would be perfect for it. I cut it out with vinyl and stuck the outline of it on the pot.

I wanted to paint this on so I grabbed some craft paint. I used the color Sea Breeze by American-I wanted a light blue. 

I put 2 coats of paint on and then let it dry for a few hours. Then I took the vinyl off and spray painted a coat of lacquer on it to protect if from the soil and water and to make it shiny! 

Here is what it looks like all painted and done:
I love how it turned out! Just as I had visioned!!

Next, came the fun part of planting the seed! I filled the bottom of the pot with little rocks for a little drainage system...as my mom told me to do since I am new at this! Then I filled the pot just over half way with soil.

Here is what the mango seed looks like. It is pretty big!!
This will be the seeds home until is grows big enough to transfer to something bigger!

Next, I added some water and more soil and a little more water. 

Here it is all filled up!!!

I will give an update in a few months when we start to see something growing!! (Hopefully!)





Joining the following:

Toot Your Horn Tuesday @ Debbie Does Creations







52 Mantels{Junk in their Trunk}

The Taylor House






15 comments:

  1. It's so cute, hopefully that means good luck for keeping a plant alive :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! nice job! love the yellow with the blue~ don't ya just love Spring?
    Happy day to ya!
    jamie
    lovelongtime.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! You are so sweet! Oh, yes I LOVE spring time!! Thanks for stopping by!
      Jill

      Delete
  3. I. LOVE. IT!!!!! I love both the colors you used. looks so great and totally reminds me of Spring. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh.. how pretty! You are so stinkin crafty Jill!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! I love the yellow...so springy! Can't wait to see it grow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE how your pot turned out, the design you added to it just makes it perfect. Next time I plant I am going to make my pots a little more decorative. I wish I had seen this post before :)

    I am attempting to grow my own vegetable garden and what I did was paint my clay pots with chalkboard paint so that I could write on them. I just read that you added some rocks for drainage wish I would have done that for my pots.
    check out how my pots turned out and an update on how my garden is doing.

    http://motivatedmommyoftwo.blogspot.com/2012/04/gardening-things-are-growing.html

    BTW: I love Mango's

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that is so nice! I have got to get some yellow in my life! Maybe a pot is a good way to do it! I hope your mango grows. I've never seen a mango seed before! Great project!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for your bathtub glow stick idea!! I added to my list of fun activities and gave you linky love!~!

    Gianne at cowsgomooandducksgoquack.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice way to make something very plain look so much prettier. I love the stencil- wish I had a cricut machine. I will have to try this for some pots for my window garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!! You are so sweet!
      Thanks for stopping by!
      Jill

      Delete
  10. Love it! Im going to have to share with a friend. She loves that stencil! Thanks for sharing at Toot Your Horn Tuesday :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. And I'd be the friend Debbie is talking about! I LOVE it, Jill! It's very cute. I was telling Debbie that I planned to do a planter tower this summer with clay pots, so I should put this in there too! Thanks so much for sharing. I'm now following along thru GFC.

    Have a great week!
    Erika @ Southern Belle as an Army Wife

    ReplyDelete
  12. This turned out great! I love the colors and that you're planting a mango seed. What a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every single comment!! I promise to respond to any questions you may have! Thanks for stopping by!

Blogging tips