Recently On Two Yellow Birds Decor

DIY Cupcake/Dessert Stand

Over the last few months I have seen so many cute cupcake or dessert stands on Pinterest that people have made. After seeing many designs I decided I really wanted to make one for me!

As Promised in my birthday party post found HERE, I am going to give you the tutorial on how I made it today!!

A few weeks ago I went to Michael's to get a few things. I happened to walk down there seasonal isle and found the CUTEST plastic plates. And guess what?? They were even 50% off! YAY!!! So I snatched up a few colors and patterns that I liked. 

Here is what you need to make this:

-Plastic Plates of your choice {different sizes would be best}
-Small bowl {Optional}
-Candle Stick stands {I got from the Dollar Store}
Not Pictured:
-Spray Paint
-E6000 glue
-Goo Gone {if needed to remove any glue}


How I made it:

To start off, I spray painted my candle stick stands an aqua blue. I wanted to bring out the blue color in the plates. 
{The biggest tip I have found when spray painting glass is Slow & Steady. I have put it on to heavy and too quickly before, which makes it bubble on the glass. If you spray paint it very slowly waiting a little while between coats there shouldn't be any problem.}


After those dried I set everything up how I wanted them to go and glued them on with E6000 Glue. That stuff is seriously my new best friend! This is only my 2nd project using it and I LOVE it!!!

Let that dry for a good few hours.

One thing I wanted for my stand is to be able to change it up for different desserts that could go on it. I glued the candle stick to the bowl, but NOT the plate. This way I could take it off and be able to put a round cake on it!!

Here it is all put together:




**I am going to be doing 1 more thing to the stand. See that orange bowl in the picture above?? I am going to paint another candle stick and glue it to the bowl. This way I can even switch out the color of bowls to put on top or just have them sitting off to the side!

LASTLY....
Fill it up with some cupcakes or desserts!!!!


I LOVE the way it turned out!! I can't wait to use it over the summer for parties!

Joining the Following Link Parties:

Chef In TrainingPhotobucket

The Taylor House












52 Mantels



One Artsy MamaBlissful and Domesticthe Grant Life








SixSistersStuff.com





18 comments:

  1. Very cute! I gave you an award on my blog. Post will be up soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I will hop on over and check it out!!

      Delete
  2. I have seen these everywhere before but yours are the CUTEST I have seen! I love the mixey matchey of prints and colors! Absolutely adorable! If you sold these at those boutique stores? Yeah. Over 50 buckaroos. I know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How CUTE. I've gotta get some of that glue!!!

    Now following you. Please come visit me at PICKINandPAINTIN.blogspot.com. THANKS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sa-weet idea :) really like the sculpted top bowl - usual design.
    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  5. This turned out awesome; I love the colorful plate that you picked out! I have a problem with spray painting glass too... I think I get too closer and spray it way too heavy. Both times I tried it, it was epic failure. Guess it's something I need to work on :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it, Jill. I'm inspired to make something similar.

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so pretty. I have a Blog Hop, and I would love it if you would link this post. You can find it at
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/07/3-face-masks-from-your-kitchen-and.html
    It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Blog Hop.
    I hope to see you there. Have a great Day.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. The colours are so cheerful and happy! Love the way it turned out. And even more the changeable option. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! You are too sweet! It has been fun to change it up :)
      Thanks for stopping by!
      Jill

      Delete
  9. SO cute! I love the mis-matched plates. Very fun!

    I've pinned this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good idea about making the bowl removable. That's the kind of thing I'd think about after I glued it together!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE IT! I love the colors of the plates. So cute! Making this tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too sweet! Thank you so much! You will have to let me know when you get it done so I can see how your's turned out!!

      Delete
  12. Great tutorial. I've been seeing cake stands forever, but this finally makes sense how to make it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AWW! Thank you so much! You are so sweet! It was pretty easy to put together. Jut look some time.
      Thanks for stopping by.
      Jill

      Delete

I appreciate every single comment!! I promise to respond to any questions you may have! Thanks for stopping by!

Blogging tips