Recently On Two Yellow Birds Decor

Family Established Sign

Just over a month ago my cousin got married. The family had a shower for her a few days before the wedding. My mom helped put together the Shower of "Firsts." Everyone who is invited gets assigned a "first" for the couple - examples: first fight, first junk drawer, first holiday, first gift wrapping, etc. It is such a fun shower to give to couples getting married. Since my mom was in charge of the invitations and assigning people their "firsts" she let me choose what I wanted to do. Of course I had to choose "First Home Decor!!" 

I wanted to create something fun for their house that included their last name and the year they were established. With the pallet board decor being so in right now I had to do a cute sign using the boards from a pallet. 

Here is what I came up with:

First, I picked out boards that looked good together. 

Then my hubby helped me by attaching smaller pieces of wood to the back to attach them together. As well as some wire so she can hang it up!

Next, I cut out their last name on my cricut. I went with a basic font. I didn't want it too fancy. I also cut out the established 2012. I used the outline of all the lettering and stuck that to the sign, leaving space for embellishments. 

Then I took some cream craft paint and painted the words on the board. I forgot to take a picture of this step! I put 2 light coats on it and when it fully dried I pulled the vinyl off.
{I never realized until I pulled the vinyl off that their last name is a little crooked. But I LOVE that because it just goes with the whole old fashioned look I was going for!!}

I wanted to put something fun on to embellish it. I decided on some paper pinwheel flowers. I love how they turned out!
To see how to make them, go HERE. I did make these ones bigger by gluing two strips of paper together. 

Lastly, I hot glued those to the board.
    

My cousin loved it, as well as everyone else that was there!!


JOINING THESE LINK PARTIES



10 comments:

  1. Such a cute rustic idea! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is soooo pretty!! I have been wanting to make one of these for a while and I just LOVE YOURS! I would LOVE to have you share this at my link party! Following you via facebook!

    http://www.pincushioncreations.com/2012/08/homemade-by-you-27.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! And I don't think the name being off a little matters one bit! Really cool shower theme too! Thanks for linking up to Show & Share! Featuring this tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found this post (and you!) at MMM. What an adorable gift! I'll have to put that on my to-do list with the thousand other things I have,LOL.
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every single comment!! I promise to respond to any questions you may have! Thanks for stopping by!

Blogging tips